Position: Right of Way Specialist I (Crew Helper)
Reports to: District Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Responsible for the cutting, clearing, trimming, and spraying of trees, shrubs, and brush for construction and maintenance of power lines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform manual labor type tasks such as cutting down trees and trimming brush, spraying trees and brush, and chipping up cut brush.
- Operate vehicles and heavy equipment including P/U trucks, bucket trucks, possibly bulldozer, and other associated equipment in a safe and proficient manner.
- Set up and remove barricades, flags, and signs for traffic control and work zone protection in compliance with safety procedures.
- Ensures all tools, equipment, and unused materials are returned and replaced on the truck after the completion of a job or the day’s work.
- Operate and maintain transportation equipment, tools, and working equipment in proper condition, and report deficiencies or repairs needed.
- Responsible for compliance with the Cooperative's safety rules, safety policies, and safety procedures.
- In addition to these responsibilities, may be assigned by the District Operations Supervisor or Foreman to perform other duties from time to time.
High school diploma or equivalency is required.
Previous experience working with chainsaws, chippers, and power trimmers preferred.
Prefer individual to have prior knowledge of operations and proper procedures for the use of chainsaws, chippers, and power trimmers.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must possess valid Texas driver license with good driving record.
- Must possess a valid Texas Class A CDL license with good driving record, or be able to obtain within 90 days.
- Must be able to communicate in English, both in written and oral forms with the general public and co-workers.
- Must be able to lift/move 50 pounds or more, as necessary without external assistance of personnel or mechanical aids.
- Must be able to operate or learn to operate equipment including bucket trucks, chainsaws, power trimmers, chippers, and other related equipment.
- Must be able to perform manual digging with a pick and shovel.
- Must be able to walk distances up to one mile in uneven terrain.
- Must be able to effectively utilize a two-way radio to communicate duties and location.
- Must have sight to be able to see working conditions from a safety standpoint.
This position requires the individual to perform a variety of tasks with the majority of the work schedule being performed outdoors at various field locations within the service territory each day. Must be willing to work in all adverse and inclement weather conditions. Overtime may be required at times of heavy workload.