Central Texas Electric Cooperative will be investing in a new Advanced Metering Infrastructure or AMI system to improve the reliability and efficiency of the electric distribution system.
CTEC will begin installing the new equipment in March of 2020 and expects to complete the installation over the next several years.
The new AMI system will enable the cooperative to perform several functions remotely, such as reading meters and reconnecting or disconnecting power.
Other benefits from the new system include:
- Faster response to outages
- More efficient power distribution, helping us keep costs down for members
- Fewer outages
- Improved power quality (fewer spikes, blinks, and surges)
- More accurate information about outages and restoration times
- More information about your power use
- Better detection of power theft
The AMI system is a significant improvement over our current metering technology and will benefit CTEC and our members. CTEC is a member-owned, not-for-profit utility, which means it is our job to look out for our members by investing in new technology to improve efficiency and reliability.