View Jobs Available
- Director of Operations and Engineering – Fredericksburg location
Position: Director of Operations and Engineering
Reports to: CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Manage and coordinate engineering, construction, installation, operation and maintenance of the distribution facilities and lines within assigned service area in such a manner that meet the established standards and reflect the most efficient utilization of construction and operation methods, techniques and equipment while meeting the needs of the members of the Cooperative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs, with appropriate delegation, all of the engineering, construction, operations and maintenance activities to obtain maximum productivity and effectiveness in pursuit of Work Plan goals and objectives, and provides a means of measuring progress and accomplishments.
- Directs the preparation of Power Requirement Studies, Long and Short Range Engineering Plans, Departmental Annual Work Plans, and other engineering and operational studies to assure adequate system capacity, service reliability, and workplace and public safety, and to provide capitalization estimates for financial planning.
- Provides direct field supervision of all engineering and operations personnel for the necessary engineering, construction, operation, and maintenance work in the operation of the distribution system, energized or de-energized, including primary and secondary facilities, transformers, voltage regulators, metering equipment, substation and all other related equipment.
- Develops and recommends contracts, agreements, and required legal documents for consideration of the CEO, legal counsel, and the Board of Directors.
- Develops cost-of-service studies and appropriate rate tariffs, which result in retail rates that are cost-based, fair, equitable and which provide for the achievement of approved financial goals.
- Develops, schedules, and directs periodic line patrol, voltage and load measurements, and evaluations of the physical and electrical conditions of the distribution system; and implements appropriate and timely remedial action to maintain continuity and power quality standards for electric service.
- Secures and schedules personnel, equipment and materials to accomplish assigned Work Plan goals.
- Insures proper investigation and resolution of customer complaints regarding electric service to obtain appropriate resolution and maintain favorable customer perceptions.
- Maintains a current knowledge and understanding of Rural Electric Association, Rural Utilities Services, National Electric Safety Code, Cooperative Safety Manual and other applicable standards and regulations to insure that the Cooperative's distribution facilities are constructed and operated in a safe and efficient manner, consistent with these standards.
- Coordinates work activities with outside contractors representing both CTEC and/or its members to insure work efficiency in the pursuit of productivity goals.
- Directs the vehicle and power equipment maintenance and repair activities for the Cooperative to effectively and efficiently insure extended, reliable service and functionality of this equipment.
- Maintains effective internal and external relationships to enhance information transfer, productivity, and the ability to influence decisions of others.
- Selects and recommends the transfer, promotion, termination or disciplinary action of immediate staff in cooperation with the Manager of Human Resources, to accomplish approved program goals and to assure effective and efficient utilization of available resources.
- Develops recommendations regarding departmental organizational structure and staffing policies and practices to accomplish approved program goals through the most effective and efficient utilization of available resources.
- Administers employee development and compensation programs consistent with applicable policies, procedures and practices to assure the maintenance of a highly competent, motivated and effective work force.
- Schedules and supervises the general office maintenance activities, as assigned, to insure an environment that is clean and pleasing for employees and customers.
- Monitors progress and costs incurred in carrying out department's work plans and develops reports and data regarding the status of the activities to assure compliance with program goals and budget levels and to serve as the basis for planning.
- Continually looks for improvements and developments in operational procedures, practices, methods, and equipment that will improve productivity, safety, employee morale, and customer services.
- Participates in departmental and safety meetings to develop future plans, confer on mutual problems, and the exchange of information.
- Assumes the responsibility for, and performs the necessary dispatching of work and equipment assignments during emergency conditions under the established policies, requirements, and the authority delegated by the CEO.
- Establishes an adequate equipment maintenance and service schedule in accordance with approved policies and procedures. Schedules substation and pole testing and inspection program.
- Attends board or committee meetings as requested by the CEO or Board of Directors.
- Regular and punctual on-site attendance at work is an essential function of this job which involves teamwork and a high level of interaction with employees, members, and vendors.
- In addition to these responsibilities, may be assigned other duties by the CEO.
Associate or Associate in Applied Science degree in energy management or electrical linework, business administration, management, or related field plus extensive specialized training in electric utility system design and operation is required. Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor in Applied Science in electrical engineering, energy management, management, project management, or business administration preferred. Professional Electrical Engineer license preferred.
Ten years of experience in electrical utility system design, construction, and operation is required, preferably with a consumer-owned or publicly-held utility system. A minimum of five years experience in managing work of others and maintaining effective relationships, both within and outside the organization, is required. An additional five years of experience may be substituted for the education requirements.
A thorough working knowledge of distribution system design, construction, operations, maintenance specifications and standards, and safe working practices required. A working knowledge of all applicable codes, regulations, and standards, both national and local, is essential. A knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and engineering-related information systems is desirable. A knowledge of cost of service, retail rate design studies, job training, and safety related issues is preferred. Must understand and know how to use computer applications such as spreadsheet, word processing, and database applications. Must be knowledgeable about transportation and power-operated equipment applications and regulations.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must possess valid Texas commercial driver license with good driving record.
- Must possess excellent communication skills in English, both in written and oral forms, and be able to communicate with the general public and co-workers.
- Must be skilled at managing projects and people.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to walk, stand, crawl, and climb, sometimes in awkward work positions and in adverse and uneven terrain.
- Must be able to present information to others and work under stress.
This position requires the individual to perform a variety of tasks, with the majority of the work schedule being performed traveling to, and working at various field locations within the service territory with some office time each day. Occasional travel is required to represent the Cooperative at training and informational meetings. Occasional work outside normal working hours may be required. Must be willing to work in all adverse and inclement weather conditions with varying temperatures in addition to normal office working conditions, including exposure to severe weather while restoration of service during storms. The individual must be able to communicate in English, both in written and oral forms, with the general public and co-workers; must be able to effectively utilize a two-way radio to communicate duties and location; must be able to lift 50 pounds as necessary without external assistance of personnel or mechanical aids; must have sight to be able to see working conditions from a safety standpoint; and must be able to walk distances up to one mile in uneven terrain.